Sunday, May 30, 2010
Stanford Prison Experiment
I think that the Stanford Prison Experiment has its ups and downs and is definitely a controversial experiment because of its physical and mental consequences. I think that initially i was a good idea by Dr. Zimbardo to want to create this scene to perform research on how the guards and prisoners would react but I think that the extreme it was taken to is what causes the issue. The fact that the prisoners were suffering whether mentally (acting as zombies) or physically (eating strike as we heard in the video clip) is what really brought about the question as to whether this experiment is ethical or not, even though I don't think that this reaction was intentional or thought to occur. I can understand though how the guards felt that they were put into these roles and they wanted to carry them out but I believe that the power they felt got to their heads and they became overwhelmed. However, in the end I think that this outcome might have not been intentional that the experiment did borderline on becoming unethical and I am glad that they stopped it after 6 days instead of the original 14.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kelsey: A number of the students found this to be an unethical study. I liked the way you defend you positions on whether this experiment should have been conducted because of the ethical dimensions.
ReplyDeleteGood job.
Richard Bobys, rbobys@nvcc.edu