Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Technology Isolation

I think the expansion of technology has its ups and downs as most things do in life. I love how easy it is to just quickly look something up on the Internet, how one can go online shopping, and how Facebook has expanded which keeps me in contact with several friends and allows us to catch up and views each others pictures. In the work sense, I do lots of my work on the computer (payroll, looking up peoples information, entering info into Peoplesoft), etc. and rely heavily on technology for my day to day duties. I do agree with what the textbook says that more people have become isolated due to the expansion of technology since so many things are readily available and we need little human contact. However, this to me is unhealthy if it's taken to the extreme because we need human interaction to develop and to live our lives. I would go crazy if I didn't have face to face interaction with people on a daily basis and don't believe people should without this because you will become socially awkward. We read in the textbook about the boy who lived in the woods for years and wasn't able to progress in society because of his lack of interaction with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment