Sunday, June 20, 2010

Crime

After reading about crime statistics and way crime can be prevented or moreso "detecting risks", I agreed much more with the proposal of community policing. This reminds me much of the neighborhood watch program that many housing communities already have. By getting neighbors involved to just watch over things, notice trends, and be able to point out one something isn't right can be very useful to a community. I don't think that the community should start acting like heroes and trying to save people from criminals but getting people involved seems like a good idea;more people can't hurt. Shaming to me seems like a bad idea because if a community labels a person as a criminal and basically treats them like an outcast, I fear that instead of being shamed, they will take their criminal behavior label and become more deviant.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you all the way. However, I will say that lets say a community find out a mans a sex offender and labels him in that aspect. It will cause the community to pay a closer watch to him considering his past. I believe that as a society they would accept him but, if he did something heinous they might take a long time to warm up to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last part of your post where you mention the criminal might act out instead of actually being shamed is something I also talked about in my blog. I think this is a very real possibility with shaming, because this criminal may come out of prison looking for a second chance and a chance to redeem himself. If others just take that opportunity to be rude to them and make them feel unwelcome and like an outcast then that may cause the criminal to revert back to old way. Now, I'm also not saying that the pereson should be welcomed with open arms or to expect everyone to be cordial to them, because the reality is: that is not happen.

    ReplyDelete