Friday, July 30, 2010

Religion

Secularization can be defined as the process of decline in the influence of religion. I am not sure that this is really impacting society that greatly because I have numerous coworkers, friends, and family that are religious and attend church. After reading the chapter, I learned that the actual over half of Americans who were involved in a survey said that they were "strong believers" in God (Giddens, 548). I also learned about the decline in church during your 20's but how it rises again in your 30'-40's and I completely agree with us. When I was younger and studying religion, I went to church every week but after I was confirmed and in my 20's I rarely go. I do think that if I ever have kids I will want them to go to church so this stays true to how many people start going back during their 30's. I think it's very hard to determine if secularization is a factor because there aren't many tests that are done about this, especially since the government isn't involved with questionnaires regarding religion. Also it's difficult to determine if people are attending church less since the numbers are constantly changing based on a variety of things such as age, job demands, family engagements, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Kelsey: Interesting observations about people's religious attendance.
    I found your discussion of the isolation caused by technology particularly useful. A couple students noted that some technology may actually make people less isolated; that is, it puts them in touch with more people who they can have face-to-face encounters with.
    You've provided thoughtful discussions. Good work.
    Richard Bobys

    ReplyDelete