Saturday, July 3, 2010
Social Class in the US
I think social class plays a huge role in peoples lives today in the United States. There are many people who are so worried about how others perceive them and other people who are so set on only interacting with those in their social group. Usually the people who are of high class only want to interact with other high class people or may be a little embarrassed if they do socialize with somebody in a lower class. An example of this is in a video from the PBS website when an engaged couple were from different social classes. The woman admitted that she was from a high class family and had asked her fiancee to change what neighborhood he grew up in for their engagement article in the paper because she was embarrassed that he grew up in a lower class than she. I also chose to watch another video in which WASPS characteristics were described and it sounded very different from the life I live. I decided to play the game in which you decorate your living room with different pieces of furniture and accessories (even a dog) and it's supposed to tell you which class you belong to. I apparently chose a variety of decorations and therefore the game couldn't pin be down as one specific class.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree. I think we judge people on their class and automatically think we know everything about them because they are rich, middle class or poor. If someone lives in a trailer they are considered "trailer trash" and a label is put on them. I also read about the engaged couple and found it interesting that his family that she was snooty and her family though he was too dark.
ReplyDelete